Sunday 30 September 2012

No Mayo spicy coleslaw and hot hot jerk chicken

I had a lovely night last night, good food, good friends, Cuba Libres with fresh mint and the X-factor! It doesn't get much better than that!

By some freak of nature we had a rain free evening (almost unheard of in Manchester) so we made the most of it and got the barbecue out for probably the last time this year to cook some spicy, juicy jerk chicken. I served it with rice and peas, salad and some home made coleslaw. I not usually a fan of coleslaw. Mainly because I really don't like mayo. In my opinion it doesn't taste nice enough to warrant how fattening it is. Not that Im a complete health freak who wont eat anything fattening ever. I love cheese for example (Very fattening but so worth it!). Mayo just tastes to me like added extra grease so I never eat coleslaw but i like the idea of all the crunchy raw veg so i put together a much lighter version and threw in some chilli and coriander to make it a bit more interesting. I bound it together with low fat creme-fraiche instead of mayo and it was a perfect refreshing accompaniment to the fiery jerk chicken.YUM!

Here's what I did:


Low fat spicy coleslaw:

Ingredients:

1 carrot
Half a white cabbage
1 white onion
150mls creme-fraiche
juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon caster sugar
half teaspoon slat
Half a red chilli (seeds optional)
handful of fresh coriander

Directions:

Grate the carrot and finely chop the onion and cabbage chilli and coriander.

Mix the creme-fraiche, salt, sugar and lime juice and add to the vegetables and that's it! Done! This makes loads though and we had tonnes left over so if I make it again I will scale down the quantities a bit

Jerk Chicken

Ingredients.

Chicken pieces with skin on
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 scotch bonnet chilli
1 red chilli
4cloves garlic
1 inch chunk fresh ginger
handful fresh chives
handful fresh thyme
juice of 1 lime
100ls dark rum

Directions.

Blend all the marinade ingredients and rub on the chicken and leave for a couple of hours for the flavors to develop. Then cook in the oven or barbecue.

**Be warned though it is REALLY spicy. The scotch bonnet chilli can be left out or de-seeded if you cant handle to much heat. Also its worth mentioning that I would never usually cook chicken with the skin on. This can be made without to cut fat but as it was cooked on the barbecue i felt that keeping the skin on would keep it moist and juicy ad also be a great vehicle for the marinade to stick to. It turned out juicy and moist in the middle and crispy and spicy on the outside so I would recommend keeping it on. 

The rice and peas was made from a Simon Rimmer recipe, check it out here. It was seriously good! To scale down on fat I used low fat coconut milk.

The perfect drink to wash this spicy feast down with was Cuba Libres made with Sailor Jerry's. For a refreshing twist on the classic drink my friend Matt added lots of fresh chopped mint.They were delicious Unfortunately i definitely had too many and I'm feeling less than fresh myself this morning. Its a good job there's a fridge full of delicious left overs to ease my hangover. Yum yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment