Saturday 12 May 2012

Just Peachy! Peach and Almond Cake


Ok folks so this isn't that healthy! But what it lacks in nutrients it more than makes up for in yummyness!! I will explain later on...

A confession...

I must be honest and say that the last few weeks I have been slacking big time at the gym. When I'm at the top of my game I'm doing 5 or 6 hard workouts a week. I love the buzz I get from it and find myself craving that buzz if i miss a session. I mix my workouts up between running, spinning classes, hill workouts and interval training. I've recently started using weights and own body weight excercises as well and I've noticed a massive difference in my tone and strength. I used to only do cardio so its great to introduce a new dimension to my workouts.

That said, as i mentioned I've not been giving it my all recently so to give myself a bit of a boost I joined a new gym. Its right next to my work so I can go on my lunch break. Its so close it only takes a minute or two to get there. I've only done one lunchime workout so far, as I was pushed for time I just managed a quick but really tough 20 minutes on the cross trainer. It wasn't a full workout but on a day when I wouldn't have time to do anything else, its definately better than nothing and still gave me the endorphin rush I wanted. I'm feeling back on track now anyway and looking forward to a full workout schedule this week.

Phew!!! Peach and Almond Cake:

Well after all that thinking about excercising, I think we deserve a little treat!

I made this cake last weekend and have had a little piece after work most days this week. OK so its not that great for you BUT as far as cakes go, this ones got far more protein than a normal sponge because of the ground almonds so it will give you bags of energy, really fill you up and aid recovery after a workout. So really it would be rude not to make it and have a big fat slice! Go on!!

Ingredients:

4oz golden caster sugar
4oz butter (at room temperature)
4oz ground almonds
3 oz self raising flour
4 eggs (seperated and at room temperature)
4 tbls milk
1/2 tspn salt
1 tspn almond extract
1 tin halved peaches in juice
2 tbls flaked almonds

Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees. Gas Mark 4.

The first step to his cake is the peaches. Empty the tin into a pan and leave to simmer in the juice for about 20 minutes on a low heat until the juice reduces into a sticky syrup. Leave to cool.

While the peaches are cooling weigh out the butter and suger and beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the egg yokes one by one and whip nto the mixture with a hand whisk or a large fork. Its really important that both the eggs and butter are at room temperature and not out of the fridge or the mixture will split.

In a seperate bowl sift the flour, then add the ground almonds and salt, mix well and then tip about a third of the dry ingredients into the egg, sugar and butter mixture. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet, a third at a time using a metal spoon, mix as little as possible so that you do not overwork the flour. When fuly combined the mixture should be quite stiff. Loosen it up by adding the milk start with 1 or two tablespoons and see how much you need. Add the almond extract at this point as well.

Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until they form medium peaks (somewhere between soft peaks and stiff peaks). Then combine this with the cake mixture bit by bit with the metal spoon being careful not to knock much of the air out of the egg whites.

Cut the cooled peach halves in half again and arrange in a circular pattern in the bottom of a 20cm cake tin. Pour on the cake mxture and sprinkle the top with the flaked almonds. Bake for 45-50 minutes.

The cake is fabulous warm or cold. Try it warm with a dolop of creme fraiche and a drizzle of honey.

I'm not counting calories on this one, it might spoil it if i know how naughty it is but if you want to know, try the recipe calorie calculator at Spark Recipes.











No comments:

Post a Comment